Vehicles Contacting Utility Poles: Imminent Danger
If a vehicle has contacted a utility pole and occupants must exit the vehicle due to fire other other imminent danger, do NOT attempt to enter or contact the vehicle. Instead, instruct occupants on the jump-and-hop technique.
Explain and demonstrate these steps to occupants from a safe distance:
- Do NOT step out of the vehicle.
- Do NOT touch the vehicle and the ground at the same time.
- Jump clear of the vehicle.
- Land with feet together and take very short hops, keeping feet together and making contact with the ground at the same time.
- Continue hopping to a safe distance away. A safe distance is at least 30 feet from distribution lines or at least 100 feet from transmission lines. Remember, all safety clearances given here are minimums. Always use the maximum possible distance.